Alternate Lives.

I've been living this series of alternate lives for what seems like weeks now.

Details are a bit lacking, but I've been an Eastern European immigrant, a student living in a bedsit, a mechanic with elderly, infirm parents, amongst others. This all takes place around the few square miles where I live, and I am basically committed to that existence for the duration of the night's sleep.

Which is fine, except they are unspectacular and not very 'dream-like'. There's not much surrealism or symbolic representation that I can fathom, and they are VERY elusive to recall in the morning. That aside, they seem to continue unabated.

Last night I managed to 'break in' on the last bit of dream, where you become aware that you're dreaming. I could actually feel my conscious mind muscling in, as if to say "What's all this secrecy about then?"

So it was like a sudden shift in perception, an instant awareness, like that of a stranger intruding on a private moment, but not in a bad way. For the minute or so before I woke. the two minds co-existed peacefully, and I was able to both observe and experience the dream at the same time. I became aware of the weight of my limbs, and the solidity of the sky. All very third eye.

I was running toward home, squinting into the low sun along the 'top road' in that well-visited square mile where I live. What I became aware of, was that the gravity of dreams is very forgiving, so that I was able to make huge, triple-jumper strides that left me in the air for a giddy amount of time. I could even feel the paving slabs give beneath my feet as I landed.

I might add that this is very similar to the kind of outdoor bounding I do in Oblivion to level up the old acrobatics. It was that same slightly scary sense of soaring. However, I've always flown regularly in dreams, which is nice and liberating.

I've always been a vivid dreamer, but I reckon the visual and mental stimulus of games has it's part to play too. The immigrant episode seemed to borrow heavily from Half-Life 2.

The hindbrain is too fond of sealing off it's secrets, but I've heard you can train yourself for better recall, and the ability to experience lucid dreaming as I've done accidentally last night. Time for some research.

I also watched half of Pan's Labyrinth before I went to bed and ate some cheese.

0 comments:

Post a Comment